Links

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Feelings Mixed

Shank talks to Boston Celtics legend Cedric Maxwell, who has an opinion or two about Colin Kaepernick, the shithead whose bold stance against what he claims are oppression, racial injustice and police brutality which involves marching on City Hall helping out inner city youth donating to worthy causes sitting down during the National Anthem.
Cedric Maxwell played eight seasons for the Celtics, from 1977-85. He was MVP of the NBA Finals in 1981, and in ’84 he famously told teammates to “hop on my back” before leading the Celtics to a Game 7 victory against the Lakers.

Maxwell’s No. 31 hangs in the Garden rafters, alongside the numbers of Bill Russell, Larry Bird, and the other Green legends. Today he serves as a color commentator on Celtic radio broadcasts.

And in all those seasons with the Celtics, Maxwell was never on the parquet floor standing at attention when the national anthem was played.

Max’s absence was sometimes perceived as a protest. He says it was not.

“The only reason I walked out during the national anthem — wasn’t in protest of the flag — I love America more than anybody,’’ Maxwell said Wednesday. “People would ask me about it.

“It was because I was nervous, and when the national anthem was played, I was fidgety. I did not want to offend anybody by moving around, shuffling my feet, doing what I was doing, so I just took myself out of that environment out of respect to the flag.

“I still do it now. I normally leave before the national anthem is played.’’

This is a topic today because San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick has made a stand that he will sit during the playing of the national anthem before games. Kaepernick sat out the anthem at San Francisco’s game last Friday, then explained that he was motivated by racial injustice and police brutality in America. He has pledged to do the same Thursday night when the Niners play at San Diego. His position has created a national debate.
What debate? This is meaningless showboating, nothing more. If Kaepernick was serious about these matters, he'd be doing a lot more than a bullshit 'protest' of sitting out a national anthem. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

UPDATE AT 12:18 PM - Link to article added; apologies.

UPDATE II, AT 1:10 PM - Check out the socks Colin decided to wear at a recent practice. He's one step away from the Black Lives Matter professional agitators, coming soon to block a highway near you.

No comments: