Links

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Obligatory Jon Lester Column

Shank turns his attention to the Red Sox pitching ace, who's in the final year of his contract. Shank speculates what could have been, had the Manny Ramirez for Alex Rodriguez trade been successful, for the 900th time:
There are several million “what would have been?’’ thoughts attached to the notion of A-Rod coming to the Red Sox and Ramirez going to the Rangers. It means the 2004 Sox season would have been a whole lot different. We never would have seen Ramirez win World Series MVP, and the Sox would have been the ones strapped with the shameful legacy of A-Rod.

Nomar Garciaparra would have been traded for Magglio Ordonez. There would have been no “Tessie,’’ no “Fever Pitch,’’ and no image of Ramirez diving and cutting off a Johnny Damon relay throw that was bound for the infield.

A-Rod and his purple lips would have set up house on the left side of the Fenway infield and we’d probably never have seen Orlando Cabrera, Edgar Renteria, Julio Lugo, or Stephen Drew. Cameron Diaz and Madonna would have come to Fenway Park. Biogenesis would have made deliveries to the Back Bay.

And Jon Lester would have pitched for the Texas Rangers.
Shank also wonders whether Lester was being truthful when he said he'd take the home team discount if the Red Sox choose to extend his contract:
“I’m not going to go back on what I said,’’ Lester said Monday. “I said what I said from the heart. I mean it. We’ll see where it goes from there. We still got a long way to go.

“It’s going to be a tough process. That’s why I tell those guys, ‘Call me when you got something.’ I don’t want to hear about the day-to-day of it. I’ve got to worry about the field. I can’t worry about that other stuff. It will take care of itself.’’
Any bets on the obligatory John Farrell column for tomorrow?

UPDATE, at 8:39 PM - recent developments indicate better odds for an obligatory David Ortiz column.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe he's wrong on Fever Pitch; that movie was intended to portray the Sox as the lovable losers they had been for so long, then got changed when they actually won the World Series the year it was produced.

Shaughnessy, failing to even do basic fact checking? I've come to expect it from him!

-Quiddity