Links

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Playing at the LA Coliseum

I am more than happy to give credit where credit is due. Shaughnessy's article today on the LA Coliseum is excellent. The Sox and the Dodgers are playing an exhibition game there today and it will be the first game there since 1961. The column does nice a job of blending three story lines: 1) the hope that they can set an attendance record of 100K+; 2) the peculiarities of the playing field (200 feet to left field?) and 3) the history of the stadium. I enjoyed the read quite a bit.

If I am going to quibble, I could have done without the "It is what it is" Belichickian quote from Tim Wakefield. Also, Shaughnessy has been known to get his historical facts mixed up and upon a first read, I can't vouch that every fact he pitches is correct.

In the end, one of the stronger efforts from our friend Shank

2 comments:

dbvader said...

If you read the print edition, Shank has Humphrey Bogart watching the Dodgers play in the Coliseum. Bogart was dead for over a year before the Dodgers played in LA.

dbvader said...

I read that fact on the BSMW message board.