I hate writing about David Ortiz. Every time I say he's done, Ortiz goes on a tear. When I admit I'm wrong, he goes into a tailspin and I wonder if I was right in the first place.It's like a food court of column types! How many Shank column types are we up to (not necessarily in this order of frequency)?
I was certainly wrong about Ortiz in this space on April 12, when I wrote a column headlined, "Boston's big problem: Big Papi past his prime, no longer everyday DH.''
It seemed to be true at the time, but of course that was before Ortiz wound up being American League Player of the Month in May, when he hit .363 with 10 homers and 27 RBIs.
* The Go Through The Motions column
* The Mail It In column (twin brother of the Go Through The Motions column)
* The Rip A Pro Athlete / Manager / Coach / Organization column
* The Good, Solid column
* The Local Non-Professional Athlete column
* The My Bad column
* The Picked Up Pieces column
If the Red Sox take 1st place in the AL East, we may even see another My Bad column in the near future. Sweet...