Links

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Another Bandwagon For Shank To Jump On

Not exactly a news flash, but still:
The tipping point for me came Thursday morning when my friend Ken Nigro called from Florida. We covered baseball together in Baltimore a million years ago. Ken is over 70, still reads seven newspapers per day (actual newspapers, my friends),
Finally - we found a Boston Globe subscriber!
He wanted to know if I was going to be in Tampa to watch the Red Sox this weekend. I told him, ‘No.’ Then he switched topics.

“Forget about baseball,’’ said Nigro. “This week I saw the greatest sporting event I’ve ever seen.’’
Loudon, NH?
“Brazil, right?,’’ I asked.

“Yeah,’’ he replied. “That women’s soccer game was the greatest game ever. I’ve never been a soccer fan, but I gotta admit, this is pretty good.’’
Shank then proceeds to bore the hell out of anyone reading the column. You've been warned!

1 comment:

Monkeesfan said...

The Winston Cup race at Loudon was lightyears better than the women's soccer game.

And Shank, there was also the World Cup of American Football. (sorry, couldn't find the version in English). The US took on Canada [i](my attempt at a Shankism - it was the New England Patriots vs. the Vancouver Canucks)[/i] and the US played the Canadian team like the Patriots pummeling the NY Jets, 50-7.