Links

Monday, July 06, 2020

Bandwagon Dan / Double Standards

Shank comes out (again) as a cancel culture warrior:
This one really isn’t very difficult.

The Washington Redskins need to change their name. Today.

It’s been obvious for such a long time.

This is not a new thought, or an idea owed to the challenge flag thrown regarding US history. I’ll spare you the discussions about the Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, Kansas City Chiefs, Golden State Warriors, and Florida State Seminoles.

Knock yourselves out arguing which nickname is an honor and which one is an insult. I admit I have never been insulted by the mascot of the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame. Or the Celtics’ leprechaun. Others are welcome to be offended.
So if you're a pasty white Irishman like Shank is, you can fuck off about changing those nicknames. These nicknames for people of a lessor pallor, however, must be changed.

He's mentioned this one in the past but it seems to have a new urgency now. I wonder why that is? Let me know when you want to start burning some Seminole game programs, Shank.

1 comment:

FenFan said...

Even ahead of today's announcement, I've long been in favor of changing the Washington football team name. It's blatantly racist to use that term in 2020, and I'm no snowflake.

I'm all in favor of these discussions and discourse. I have no issue with the other names CHB mentioned, though I am not a fan of Cleveland's Chief Wahoo, which should also be chucked into the ashbin of history.

I will note that Florida State and the Seminoles several years ago discussed whether or not there was an issue using the name, and there was mutual agreement that it was an honorable choice. The Blackhawks had a similar discussion with local Native Americans and drew the same conclusion.

The Notre Dame / Celtics comparison is idiotic; leprechauns are fantasy creatures. That opinion came from a friend of mine who is 100% Irish.