Links

Friday, July 26, 2019

The One Where I Agree With Shank

Since the Tour de France is still going on I was watching that instead, but Shank has (dare I say it) a good column about the Sox / Yankees games.
The third-place Red Sox beat the Yankees, 19-3, Thursday, improving to 2-6 vs. New York this season. The Sox trail the first-place Bronx Bombers by 10 games, 11 in the loss column. The two teams have scored an aggregate 72 runs in their last three meetings.
Are we having fun yet?

Not me. I believe the Sox and Yankees are on a mission to kill baseball.

These ancient rivals play interminable games. They grind. They foul off a million pitches. They step out of the box. They teach their pitchers to strike every batter out. They do not want “the chaos of the ball in play.’’ They drain all the blood from your face. They do this until the only people still “watching” are old folks who fall asleep in front of the TV.
If I recall correctly, the London series between these two clubs (two games) was a combined nine hours long.

Check that:
When the Sox played the Yankees in London the games went 4:42 and 4:24. Back to back. A great way to sell the product overseas, no?
Well, they're like shorter cricket matches, so there's that...

3 comments:

Adam Gaffin said...

No problems with the column, either, except: The last time an American sportsball team ran up the score against an opponent, Our Boy Dan was full of outrage and cussedness and where's the fair play in it all? Of course, that was lady soccer players, not burly he-man baseball players.

Roger Bournival said...

Yeah, I whiffed on that one, Adam. Loved your post this morning!

After 3,000 posts here over a span of fifteen years, it gets tiresome to keep pointing out all his inconsistencies and contradictions. I generally go with one angle and that's it. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Adeel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.