Links

Wednesday, August 01, 2018

Of Course He Does

Shank has a bad habit of recycling column themes over and over and over. He does so again earlier today:
As good as these Red Sox are, I have a few concerns

What’s wrong with me?
I'm sure that's a rhetorical question!
Why do I worry about show ponies when I have Secretariat barreling down the stretch right in front of my eyes?

When do I give up the ghost of skepticism and just admit that these Red Sox are going to win the World Series?

As they prep for a four-game Fenway showdown against the Yankees in which they could effectively wrap up the AL East, the Sox have the best team in baseball. All the numbers say so.

The Sox have the best record in the game (75-34). They are enjoying a monster season. This is their best record at this stage of a season since 1946, the year Ted Williams and his Teammates came back from The War.
...
So why am I still worried?

Why can’t I enjoy the historic ride? Why can’t I embrace the greatness and remember those Sox juggernauts from 2013, 2007, and 2004?
I dunno - maybe because you take every available opportunity to denigrate the team, question the quality of their opponents and, with respect to the 2013 World Series win, deride that accomplishment as a fluke?

Shank does not possess an optimistic bone in his body, nor can he pay anyone or any team a compliment not done through clenched teeth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why doesn't Dan call 2004 a fluke? Oh wait a minute, he made money off that team with that Reverse The Curse book. He won't call it a fluke because he had a financial dog in it. Dan is a fraud.