Links

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Shank Confronts Bill Belichick

New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick held his first press conference of the 2018-2019 season, and Shank is there to ask him some uncomfortable questions:
During a press conference at training camp this morning, the Boston Globe’s Dan Shaughnessy pressed Belichick about the Butler decision multiple times. Here’s the full exchange:

Belichick hardly ever grumbles more than a few syllables when a reporter tries to bait him, but Shaughnessy seemed to actually get under his skin a bit. When Shaughnessy asked him if he cared that fans still want answers about what happened with Butler, Belichick unleashed what qualifies as a rant for him:

I’m focused on doing the best I can for the 2018 New England Patriots. That’s my job, that’s what I’m going to do. That’s what I’ve always done in the past. Every day that I’ve coached here, I’ve done the best I can for this football team and I’ll continue to do that. Right now, my focus is on the 2018 season. Not 2017. Not 2014. Not 2007. Not 2004. Not 2001. Not 2000. I’m not focused on any of those seasons. They’re done.

Normally I’d consider a line of questioning like Shaughnessy’s to be tiresome, obvious grandstanding, but this is a situation in which a months-old coaching decision actually deserves continued scrutiny. Not only did Belichick bench his best and most reliable corner before the biggest game of the season, he then refused to fix his own mistake and put Butler back in while the Eagles continued to light up his secondary. This was an act of coaching malpractice carried out during the goddamn Super Bowl, and Belichick’s refusal to explain why it happened should continue to be called out. I say keep asking him about it until he retires.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If Brady doesn't get strip sacked they win.

Monkeesfan said...

Belichick didn't bench one of his best players - Malcolm Butler by the end of the AFC Championship Game had played his way off the Patriots. His pouting over Stephon Gilmore's signing had been a story all season and by all accounts despite the much-hyped 98% of snaps he really wasn't all that effective anymore. Butler's own words after signing with the Titans have only proven he deserved to get benched.

So Shank was out of line, but then everyone else seems to be as well.

Monkeesfan said...

Quick addition - I re-listened to my tape of the 2017 Falcons game pregame show with Bertrand and Gaspar with their interview with Bert Breer and they all noted Butler's poor showing against receivers like Julio Jones and how this is why Belichick signed Gilmore.

Obviously Shank and a lot of other media people don't want to do a little homework on Butler.